joshua72

Question for Muslims

139 posts in this topic

So you must wake very early for prayer?

What does prayer involve? I read a little about it but still do not understand.

Is it a particular set of phrases which are said/chanted out loud, or is it different every time?

Are there certain movements/motions to be done?

When an American Muslim is in public, and it is time for prayer, what is he/she to do? Do you just pray on the street wherever you are? I do not understand.

For example: If I was sitting in class during lecture, and it was time to pray - what would I do?

Jush

I dont mean to impose my opinion, but I suggest u take things step by step.

Like u need to be comfortable about the Allah is One, Mohamed is His final Messenger, Jesus is His servant and Messenger.

Quran is Allah's word.

That is why I am trying to tackle these points one at a time.

How about that?? can the rest of my brothers and sisters try to help??

Simply u need to be sure about the basic fundamentals of Islam, then Insh aAllah we will move to prayer and its importance. I dont want to flood u with info so that u dont get distracted and confused.

hope I am making the correct suggestion to u and everybody else on this thread....... :embarrase :confused:

Very good suggestion!

You see, I have so many things I am confused about, I don't even know where to begin.

Before recently, I was very unfamiliar with Islam and the muslim way of life. I knew absolutely nothing about it - it was completely foreign to me. I still know very, very little.

I have been reading alot from www.islamworld.net. I find they have many articles for non-muslims/new muslims.

Taking it slowly step by step would be good though, and more beneffecial.

I appreciate all who are helping very, very much!

Before Muslims may pray, we must be in a ritually pure condition. This means that we must perform the ablution in order to be clean. Islam teaches that before we present ourselves before Go, we must make every effort to look presentable.

Each of the five daily prayers is performed in a similar way. The only difference between them is the total number of movements in each. The basic procedure to each prayer consists of standing and reciting a chapter from the Qur'an, bowing at the waist and glorifying God, and then prostrating twice on the ground while extolling God's power. This complete cycle is called a "Rak'ah", or unit of prayer. The early morning prayer consists of two units like this, whereas the two afternoon prayers and the night prayer consist of four units. The sunset prayer consists of three units.

The mosque is the place of prayer. If there is no mosque nearby at the call of prayer, you could praye wherever you want. At home, at school, at the office ....

Prayer in congregation is better in the sight of Allah than prayer alone.

If one is in the class and the section is still too long to finish, so he/she could ask for permission to go and pray.

Hope this answers your questions smile.gif

P.S: dear brothers and sisters, could anybody attach a picture of Muslims praying. I did try to attach it but in vain :confused: Thank you!

as salam alykom

Ahlam hold on on prayer now, we can not explain to him about how to pray when he still needs to be fully convinced about the Oneness of Alllah, Mohamed is the final Messneger, Quran is the true word of Allah, and that Eassa is a Prophet and Messenger.

Ok Jush, did u read my previous post explaining that the Quran was not tampered with unlike other books.

To my brothers and sisters. With the Will of Allah I managed to develop a set of points which if used in order Insh aAllah will help the seeker.

But Jush u need first to give me feed back about how u feel about the points I gave u. In other words, how far u r comfortable now that Quran is the word of Allah??

as salam alykom

How about setting a methodology here to work on with some coordination in order to ensure that the seeker benefits.

1. We need to explain Who is Allah, and that everyone is born Muslim.

2. That Allah made us testify with this when we were just blood clots before the full creation.

3. The part of Wisdom known to us behind creation.

4. Mankind accepted the trust which is to believe or not.

5. Quran is the word of Allah, when the seeker is comfortable about this many things are resolved. How can i tell him/her this is what Quran say when he/she does not believe in Quran to start with.

6. Mohamed (PAPBUH) does not speak out of his own desire.

7. Difference between mankind and angles.

8. Character of Mohamed.

Insh a Allah when these points are covered, the seeker will be able to understand

Muslimah, where did I say that Christianity is the basis for Islam??

Anyway, as far as the details of the story go, fair enough. I gave the details as I had heard it. "The carpenter" refers to Jesus of Nazareth, who of course was born the son of the carpenter. As I have heard the tale, one of the reasons that Negus identified with the Muslims was because he saw in them the same humble beginnings and search for righteousness that the early Christians had, and his response to the Meccan ambassador reflected that.

If I run across the source for that story, I'll post it.

smile.gif

Muslimah,

I believe very well that the Quran is the true word of Allah, and that it has never changed.

I know that Allah is the one God, the true God, and the Creator of all things.

When I read the Quran, I know I am reading the words of Allah. I belive the Quran, there just are certain things within it that I have questions about (but as you said, more on that later).

I looked on the internet and found a masjid (how do I pronounce that word?) near me, and I located it today on my way home from work. There were many muslims walking about near the building.

One day I hope to go there wink.gif

I looked on the internet and found a masjid (how do I pronounce that word?) near me, and I located it today on my way home from work. There were many muslims walking about near the building.

one day we hope to see you joshua...

can you do us one favour...

post the url to the masjid that you found on the internet...

please

Bismillah

Joshua- I think everyone is doing a good job of informing you about the religion. If there is anything that an American turned muslim might be able to advise you about then let me know and I will gladly help. Otherwise, I just encourage you to continue with the efforts that you are making. smile.gif

Peace

as salam alykom

Jush, Sobhan Allah, see it is good to get the feed back.

Now I think u r ready for it man, just two more points, how do u feel about Mohamed (PAPBUH) and Jesus being just teh servant and Messenger???

Those are two important points, from there we can go Insh aAllah

Jush u r so close Mash aAllah and I think soon u will need Ahlam to continue on prayer....... :smilingfl

: \"And our Lord was but a simple carpenter.\"  And with that, he turned the Meccans away.  From a historical perspective, it is arguable that without that first support from the Christians, the Muslims would not have survived.

I really like that story.    :)

May be I re phrased your setence, but this is what u typed, and this is not true. Only with the support of Allah Islam continued to exist, for to start with as u might be aware, Islam was, is, shall be the only religion. I mean Quran does not mention anything about a religion of Christianity, I dont want to hijack the thread Insh aAllah we are intending to make it an informative one for non muslims to visit. O but I think this is in the same line.

Ok Jush, back to a question, u said Bible and Torah say that Christianity and Judiasm are the correct religion.

That is why I asked u how u feel about Quran.

Now Quran say that Islam is the only religion that was, is, shall be accepted to Allah.

"Truly, the religion with Allah is Islam. Those who were given the Scripture (Jews and Christians) did not differ except, out of mutual jealousy, after knowledge had come to them. And whoever disbelieves in the Ayaat (proofs, evidences, verses, signs," (Quran 3:19)

"And this (submission to Allah, Islam) was enjoined by Ibrahim (Abraham) upon his sons and by Ya'qub (Jacob), (saying), "O my sons! Allah has chosen for you the (true) religion, then die not except in the Faith of Islam (as Muslims - Islamic Monotheism)." (Quran 2:132)

"And they say, "Be Jews or Christians, then you will be guided." Say (to them, O Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم), "Nay, (We follow) only the religion of Ibrahim (Abraham), Hanifa [islamic Monotheism, i.e. to worship none but Allah (Alone)], and he was not of the mushrikun (those who worshipped others along with Allah).* Say (O Muslims), "We believe in Allah and that which has been sent down to us and that which has been sent down to Ibrahim (Abraham), Isma'il (Ishmael), Ishaque (Isaac), Ya'qub (Jacob), and to Al-Asbat [the twelve sons of Ya'qub (Jacob)], and So if they believe in the like of that which you believe, then they are rightly guided, but if they turn away, then they are only in opposition. So Allah will suffice you against them. And He is the All-Hearer, the All-Knower." (Quran 2:135-137)

are u getting the point Jush, none of the Messengers and Prophets called for any other religion but Islam. Full submission to Allah, the One True Allah, not jesus not anyone else. Allah Who begotten no one neither was He begotten

waiting for your feedback to say where u r about Jesus and Mohamed so we can continue Insh a Allah according to your needs

Muslimah,

I believe very well that the Quran is the true word of Allah, and that it has never changed.

I know that Allah is the one God, the true God, and the Creator of all things.

When I read the Quran, I know I am reading the words of Allah. I belive the Quran, there just are certain things within it that I have questions about (but as you said, more on that later).

Assalamu 'alaikum,

Wonderful! Thanks be to Allah! You seem to be so near to the Truth incha'Allah. And with the help of our Great Allah and the efforts of all the brothres and sisters in this forum you will arrive to the Truth, the everlasting light of Allah.

May Allah guide your way!

Ahlam

Thanks for all the replies (just noticed this was made sticky too! - hopefully this thread will help other non-muslims with similar questions).

I am beginning to understand more about Muhamed (pbuh).

One thing I don't understand is why Muhamed is regarded as the messenger of Allah. I know Muhamed was the last messenger, but he was not the only messenger.

When Muslims say "Allah is the only god, and Muhamed is the messenger of Allah" it makes it sound as if Muhamed was the one and only messenger. Surely this is not true - Moses, Jesus, and many others were messengers as well.

Why don't muslims mention the others as messengers? Wouldnt it be more correct to say "Allah is the only god, and Jesus, Moses, Muhammed, etc, were his messengers?"

I read 1 chapter (surah) from the Koran each evening. In the Koran, I noticed something that I do not understand...

It first says "Believers, do not make friends with the Christians and the Jews", and then it even talks of killing Jews.

But later, it says the Christians and the Jews were delivered the scriptures, so they too are righteous and will enter Paradise.

Why the contradiction?

One thing I don't understand is why Muhamed is regarded as the messenger of Allah. I know Muhamed was the last messenger, but he was not the only messenger.

about muhammad being the ONLY prophet... this is not true... You see Joshua... islam mentions alot of the other prophets in the quraan chapter 12 in named Yusuf(that is prophet joseph) just before that there is a chapter named Yunus (that is the prophet jonah) etc.. there are many more... Islam is taken not only from the quran but also from the example that prophet muhammad set, this example is collected in the hadeeth if you go in depth you would see that islam goes more into the lives of these prophets than christianity... for example... does any of these other religions say the reason why Cane and Abel (Two of Aadam's children) were angry with each other in the first place... or does the book say that they were just angry...

you see ...

if you want more stories of the prophets download this software

http://www.divineislam.co.uk/DivineIslam/S...ophets_Stories/

In fact if you go into the very hadeeth that i mentioned above and you look at a hadeeth called "hadeeth jibreel" you would see that islam actually makes it an article of faith to believe in the prophets. In other words you would see that in order to be a muslim you MUST believe in the prophets...

the thing is though that the other books have been corrupted soo much that we cant take their information..

not only that but there were laws in the times of the other prophets that were allowed that were suitable for their time and that the prophet Muhammad (UWBP) had abrogated.. for example .. if you read chapter 12 of the quraan (i.e. surah yusuf or joseph) you would see that joseph's parents actually prostrated before him when they met him in egypt... this was actually a greeting... NOW the prophet Muhammad (UWBP) has abrogated that and now we are not allowed to prostrate before anyone... you understand...

NOW ABOUT THE FIGHTING...

I know that this can get a bit confusing.. but when we interperet quraan there are many laws that need to be taken into consideration... for example.. we need to take into consideration the circumstances under which these verses were revealed... as for these verses... you would see that they cannot just be taken literally...

so as a muslim you cannot be walking down the road see a jew and take out an AK47 and blow the living daylights outta him... you need to consider the islamic law... what does this verse actually mean...

get it josh... so consider this when you read the quraan....

we all look forward to all your questions

Assalamu 'alaikum,

Wonderful! Thanks be to Allah! You seem to be so near to the Truth incha'Allah. And with the help of our Great Allah and the efforts of all the brothres and sisters in this forum you will arrive to the Truth, the everlasting light of Allah.

May Allah guide your way!

Ahlam

as salam alykom Ahlam i hope u or any of my brothers and sisters were not intimidated by my comment, I apologize if so. I only wanted to try and gear the order of info being presented here according to Jush's needs so that he would not get distracted.

I apologoze again :embarrase

I am beginning to understand more about Muhamed (pbuh).

When Muslims say \"Allah is the only god, and Muhamed is the messenger of Allah\" it makes it sound as if Muhamed was the one and only messenger. ?

salams jush, I sort of was waiting for this point, Sobhan Allah

let me explain something here, the only problem which held the Jews back from embracing Islam, the fact that they denied that Mohamed (PAPBU) was the final Messenger they were waiting for and told about, fully explained about even looks wise in the Torah. (they are still waiting for him, I mean at the present time).

The only problem they had to accept this is that he came from the side of Ismail not Issac as they wanted to. So they refused to accept him as the final Messenger mentioned in the Torah..

Christians and allow me to use (Nasarah) just as they are called in Quran, did the same thing, they denied that this is the Messenger foretold about in the Bible by Eassa (peace and prayer be upon him). To them since the Lord himself came down and sacrificed himself or his only son, he wouldnt send a messenger. They also say that Mohamed is not a true prophet according to what Eassa warned as that after him there will be numerous false Prophets.

This leaves us at the point that the only main issue here is the denial of Mohamed as a final Messenger.

Therefore, when u take shahada, by the way, u dont say shahada only once a life time, but u do repeat it during prayer, we in order to underline this point are commanded to mention Mohamed's name (which is the difference between Muslims to accept Islam in other words accepting Mohamed as the final Messenger but not the only Messenger). It is an indication that we are accepting Islam as per what Mohamed conveyed in the Quran. Hope I did explain it well enough for u. If not may be someone else can build on it.

As naseeha referred u, we are commanded to believe in all Messengers and Prophets. Failure to do so, violates the integrity of our faith.

well josh i did some checking on that mosque by you... and it i encourage you to go over there and find out... meet the brothers and keep us here at islammessage posted ok

salam

thank you for all the great replies! Before I came to Islam message, I had a lot of spirituality and I believed in God, but I did not know much about Islam - but everyone here has taught me soo much about not only Islam, but also about my own religion.

I really think one needs to know about all three (Islam, Judaism, Christianity) to really understand them.

I appologize for not responding as quick as I'd like - my computer no longer works, so the only chance I get to come on here is when I am at work or at my brother's house.

I plan on goin to the misjad near me soon - but I have a few questions about that:

a)When would be a good time in the day to go? I do not want to interrupt anything.

b)Is there one specifc person I should go to - and what should I say to let them know I am there to learn?

Thanks again! You all have been most helpful!!

you r most welcome Joshua, well I hope u didnt take the advise of the members to go to the masjed as we r not longer ready to continue with u, no that is why we are all here.

U may continue posting questions as u wish, however, to answer your questions, . Plus u may just look for the imam and let him know your motive.

Again u r most welcome to continue posting questions Insh a Allah we will reply as much as possible with Allah's support smile.gif

By the way if u would like to tell us about where u stand about Jesus?? would also help, and I still had more to tell u if u still would like to listen.

Salaam Joshua,

I have been reading your posts and I am happy Allah(SWT) has guided you. For he guides whom he wills. You have seen the truth even through all the mumbo jumbo of the media and people who do not understand Islam and make usumptions and conclusions on what they know not.

If the Masjid in you city offers the five daily prayers go to anyone of these times. Believe me you will not inturupt anything. They will be so happy you came to learn about Islam. To find these times you can either call the Masjid or look to see if they have the prayer times posted outside.(some Masjids do this) If the Masjid is in a bigger city, they Masjid is always open and you will find it alive with people who are there to read the Quran or to sit and talk about Allah(SWT) and the Prophet(SAW).

Any Brother there can help you, and they will be more than happy to help you in your quest of knowledge of Islam. They will introduce you to the Imam, or the one who has the most knowlege to answer your questions. And for what to ask them, just tell them you came to understand and learn about Islam.

May Allah(SWT) guide you to the straight path, Ameen. Also as Brother Dan stated that he is an American convert, I am too, Alhamdulilah! I will be happy to answer any questions you may have also. smile.gif

you r most welcome Joshua, well I hope u didnt take the advise of the members to go to the masjed as we r not longer ready to continue with u, no that is why we are all here.  

U may continue posting questions as u wish, however, to answer your questions, . Plus u may just look for the imam and let him know your motive.

Again u r most welcome to continue posting questions Insh a Allah we will reply as much as possible with Allah's support smile.gif

By the way if u would like to tell us about where u stand about Jesus?? would also help, and I still had more to tell u if u still would like to listen.

I really am begining to understand more about Islam and the view on the prophets - especialy Jesus.

I am also very eager to listen to all you have to say - I can never learn too much wink.gif

I dont think that I will be going to the Masjid just yet - I still have much to learn here before I will be ready/comfortable to go there.

Thanks again!